A BRIEF HISTORY OF OKPOGA, THE FORMAL POLITICAL CAPITAL OF IDOMA NATION



Okpoga, L.G.A derives it's name from a great man called OKPE who was given the title of OGA meaning "The One who can stop the sun from rising or setting".
Okpoga as a people migrated from the present day Apa L.G.A in the 16th century after the fall of Kwararafa to exile in ancient Idah before settling in thier present location in Idomaland in early 17th century.

In 1809-1900 the British captured Okpoga and the whole of Idomaland with the headquarters of the then Idoma Native Authority at Okpoga.
In 1909,Okpoga Division was transfered to Northern Nigeria, with the chief of Okpoga people Chief.Eli Idoko as the headchief of the Idoma Division.
In 1914, Northern and Southern protectorate were amalgamated to form Nigeria with in Okpoga Division in the old Northern Region.
In 1923, Otukpo & Oju LGs were created by the old Okpoga Division.
In 1930s, The Divisional Officer moved its Headquarters from Okpoga to Otukpo.

Post a Comment

0 Comments